Tuesday, August 01, 2006

got a story to tell...

Stories are a part of everything we do. We have stories that preach, stories that bring doomsday warnings to life and stories that weave complex patterns around our basic emotions. Every story carries within it a magic potion that works on different people in different ways. For some, it is a cup of coffee that stimulates the mind and soul. For some it may be like a spoonfull of bitter medicine. And for some others, it may bring respite to a day full of rush and bustle. As for me, stories are spirits that have haunted me all my life. And they stay on long after I have met them in books, magazines or in a stranger’s tales.

I read a story or listen to one and it lodges itself in my being. Its characters converse, admonish and threaten from time to time. They make complete nuisances of themselves --- perching themselves on the sidelines of my life and running crazy through my mind when I would want it to function at its sanest best. Stories and characters fly out at me in odd and completely unexpected ways all the time. IÂ’ve sat in meetings staring squarely at a man who looks like a smug pig, straight out of an Orwellian farm. I have tried hard to keep a placid face when dealing with powerful women and men who sound like one of literature's spiteful school teachers, evil geniuses and daredevil comic book characters; I have met them all in the course of my rather boring and mundane day jobs.

This blog is for the stories that have spoken to me over the years (there have been many years and many stories). It is for all of us who love a good story. It is for hare, lion and tortoise in Panchatantra. It is for Hercule Poirot and his entertaining escapades. It is for the hours that have flown by as I waded through the ocean of myth and fable This blog is for all of us who don't think a story is a waste of time.

I shall be writing in stuff about myth, folklore and as and when possible, will document some of the stories that I have been collecting over the years. I hope that all who are interested in good kissa or, have a kahani to share, will find this site interesting. Come,join the bazaar.

No comments: