Sunday, May 18, 2008

Studying myth in India-2

My interest in myth led some of my teachers to suggest that I should enrol into a PhD programme. I hesitated at the thought of committing my time and energy into getting a degree or as many would say, a worthless piece of paper. But I saw this as the only avenue open for a regular and structured study of mythology and I found that I was more eager to work at a doctoral program than I was twenty years ago as a student.

In India, the only department that offers myth as a subject of study is the Sanskrit department at the University of Mumbai. However to enrol with them, I would need to know Sanskrit --- not learn it as I went along but be a master in it even before I could submit the first of the many forms that mark a PhD student’s journey. Alternatively, I needed to have an M A degree in a humanities subject with a minimum 55 per cent. I have neither and having worked as a writer and educationist, I am appalled that we still go by these ridiculous standards.

My graduation and post graduation studies were in economics. Today I want to study mythology – comparative mythology – an area that I had been studying informally for several years. In the interim, I have worked in various capacities in different organisations.

I tried telling the people concerned that work experience should make a difference and that I had co-authored two books. That should count?? I was also willing to sit for an entrance exam, if it were possible. However nothing has worked, nor is anyone willing to let me in through the door.

Mythology is not a subject that interests many (my class had five students) and the university admits that it may have to close it down for lack of students. And yet, when there is a student, there are no takers.

I am still trying and hoping for that crack in the door -- however thin it may be.

No comments: